Monday 17 October 2016

Water and Politics in Africa

Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Tahmid Chowdhury and I am a third year Geography student at UCL. Throughout the forthcoming weeks, I’ll be exploring themes within the realms of water and politics in Africa. You have the spectacular opportunity to embark alongside with me on this journey.

The study of politics in water access is of tremendous importance, as it allows us to understand the dynamics by which conflicts arise, and thereby how it may be avoided. It allows us to analyse the key players and stakeholders, the winners and losers, and the discourses and representations. This is particularly important in Africa in times when mainstream matrixes and indices, and much of popular/academic literature are guilty of presenting reductionist views – much of which is based purely on the arguments of environmental determinism (Taylor, 2016).

On that note, I wish to take a particular focus on the impacts and theories colonialism presents for Africa and its water-related issues (which I will expand on in my next entry). This will hopefully entail some of the discourses, practices and histories – and how they have played out in particular case studies such as transboundary conflict of the River Nile.


Throughout this blog, you’ll find a range of cheesy quotes, instances of me addressing you (but really just talking to myself, as I am now…), and criticisms of neo-colonial government activity. But hopefully above all else, you’ll find it thought provoking and enjoyable! 

No comments:

Post a Comment